If you have been following my adventures in boat building you will know that my crazy friend and I have been trying to make a folding rowing boat. Well, today we were afloat..well almost.
Day 1 and 2 had gone really well, but I kept waking up in a cold sweat worrying about the brittle qualities of the epoxy resin we had used as an adhesive. Waterproof..yes, shatter proof …no. As we moved on to the second side seam, Andria suggested using contact adhesive. Brilliant idea….so we drove over to Screw fix, and picked up a litre. (We also managed to swipe some pretty amazing pallets along the way, which will be going onto my pallet shed next weekend, but in the words of Kirsty Walk ”more on that story later”).
Now we had two types of solvents to abuse all day. We finished the side seam, screwed in the transom, and finished the PVC on the back. We also coated the nose with contact adhesive, and slapped on a pvc nose cone. She was now ready for testing.
Having spent 3 hours in a solvent filled garage, led to along conversation about how ‘we never go clubbing any more…maybe we should go out tonight’. Needless to say, the desire to go out clubbing left almost as quickly as the fumes.
Sunday morning came and we packed the boat into the car. I also packed a dry change of clothes (just in case). We drove up to the canal. The boat fitted in the car with no problems, which is a total bonus. We set the boat up in no time and it floated really well, but as suspected, when I got in, the base cracked a little and water came in.
We rushed home, and re did the centre seam using contact adhesive this time. Cross your fingers for us, we will be trying to get afloat next Sunday again. I am hoping that this won’t be a recurring theme every weekend!