We moved the bees with very little problem from James’ Apiary last weekend. Its best to move them early in the morning before they start flying. You just put a mesh on the top and a piece of foam in the entrance hole and then you can pop them in the back of your car. We carried them carefully across the plot. Loosened the mesh top and then put the proper rof on.
Tonight we have just done our first hive inspection. You use a little device called a smoker to produce a fine puff of smoke. The bees think the hive is on fire and go insie to eat the honey, thus becoming sluggish. So with a puff of smoke we opened the hive, lifted off the crown board and started to inspect the frames. Part of what you are looking for in a bee hive inspection is the queen. We didn’t find the queen, but thought we would leave it until next time, as we woudl rather not have the hive open for ages in order to spot the queen. We did find a couple of queen cell which, following James advice, we removed. There was healthy looking brood, and honey stores, so hopefully all is well. Next inspection is in 7 days, so we will make more of an effort to find the queen.